Necessary Documents

Baptismal Certificate.  Both parties must obtain a baptismal certificate, issued within six months of the wedding date, from the parish of baptism.


Affidavits of Freedom to Marry.  Both parties mush complete Affadavits of Freedom to Marry forms. These forms, usually completed by the parents, other relatives, or close friends, should be returned to the one preparing you for marriage.


Required Promise in Interfaith Marriages.  Permission is given for Catholics to marry persons of other faith traditions when the Catholic party indicates that the Catholic faith is a value in his or her own life, and one which he or she intends to hand on to the children.  The Catholic party will be asked to promise:  “I reaffirm my faith in Jesus Christ and, with God’s help, intend to continue living the faith of the Catholic Church.  I promise to do all in my power to share that faith with our children by having them baptized and reared as Catholics.”  The non-Catholic party will need to acknowledge this promise of his or her partner.


Marriage License.  It is the responsibility of the couple to obtain a marriage license prior to the wedding.  It is a violation of state law for a minister to proceed with a wedding without a license in hand.  The license must be given to your priest or wedding coordinator two weeks prior to the wedding. A marriage license is valid indefinitely.  For information about licenses, contact your county’s courthouse to obtain your marriage license.


If you are entering into a second or subsequent marriage.  If your former spouse has died, you must provide that person’s death certificate. If you are entering a marriage following a divorce in a former union, an annulment must be secured for each former marriage that was entered into by either party preparing for a current marriage.  This is true for both Catholic and non-Catholic parties.